Since the launch of PlayStation 5, people have been wondering whether their controllers could work with a Mac, especially with the new M1 gen. So, here is the guide for how to connect your PS5 controller to Mac you are looking for.
Can You Connect a Controller to a Mac?
Although users can easily pair their Dual Shock or Xbox Controller to the Mac, not all of its functions can work probably on Macs. And, after the launch of PS5, many will like to switch between using their DualSense controller on their PlayStation and Mac. Luckily, thanks to the recent release of macOS Big Sur, a DualSense can actually be compatible with Macs.
How to Connect Your PS5 Controller to Mac
Using a PS5 controller on your Mac is just as simple as on PCs. And, there are two options for you to do that now. Whether you like to connect DualSense to Mac by using Bluetooth or normal cables, here is how to to it:
Connect via Bluetooth
In order to connect a controller to Mac through Bluetooth, you need to place your PS5 controller into pairing mode first. Follow these steps to pair DualSense to a Mac:
- Go to “System Preferences” on your Mac.
- Then, choose Bluetooth and turn it on.
- Select “Scan for new devices“.
- Have the DualSense in pairing mode by pressing Create and PS Button.
- After that, a “Wireless Controller” will appear. Press it to pair your DualSense to the Mac.
- The controller should now be an option within your Bluetooth device’s menu on your PC or Mac.
Note: From now, your Mac will detect the connecting controller when loading up a game, which results in all the inputs being transferred to the DualSense.
Connect via Cables
If you don’t mind the wire, this method will guarantee a better connection between your PS5 controller and Mac. Here are the steps to connect DualSense by using cables:
- Collect your PS5 DualSense and the charging cable that comes with it.
- Next, plug the controller into a spare USB port on your Mac.
- Now, your controller is detected by the Mac and ready to use.
Note: If you are using a newer M1 MacBook, then you’ll probably need to buy a USB-C adapter to do so.
How to Use PS5 Controller With Steam
One of the main reasons why many gamers want to connect a PS5 controller to their Mac is because they want to play Steam-based games. So, here’s how to set up your controller within Steam:
- On your Mac, open Steam.
- Click Steam > Settings/Preferences > Controller.
- Then, choose General Controller Settings.
- Click on the PS5 controller.
- Enter the button configuration you want for each button tap.
- Finally, click Save and Exit to finish.
Limitations When Using PS5 Controller on Mac
Unfortunately, there are a few things that the PlayStation controller can’t do on the Mac. So, here’s a quick overview of PS5 controller limitations on Macs:
- No haptic feedback. While you can feel every explosion or jump on your PlayStation 5, there’s no haptic feedback when using the controller on your Mac, limiting how your senses feel in-game.
- Not active adaptive triggers. One of the best PS5 features is how you can gently squeeze the triggers and see how they affect what you’re doing. Sadly, this isn’t possible on the Mac.
- Required to set up the button configuration. While some games will show the correct PlayStation button prompts, others don’t. So, you will probably need to configure things for each individual game.
Have you successfully connected your PS5 controller to a Mac? Let us know about it in the comments below!
Read more: How To Fix Corrupted Data on PS5