Looking to declutter your physical wallet by adding gift cards to your Apple Wallet? You’re in the right place. Apple Wallet isn’t just for credit cards and tickets; it can also store various types of gift cards, making your iPhone the only thing you need at checkout.
Can You Add Gift Cards to Apple Wallet?
The straightforward answer is: It depends. While Apple Wallet is designed to support various types of passes and gift-based cards, the key factor is whether the issuing merchant has enabled their cards to be added to Apple Wallet. Some merchants even require you to download their app first, redeem the card there, and then add it to Apple Wallet.
However, if you’re dealing with Visa or Mastercard gift cards, you’re in luck. These can be added just like a regular credit card and used wherever Apple Pay is accepted.
What’s Changed with Apple Wallet and Gift Cards?
It’s worth noting that Apple Wallet has evolved over the years. Previously known as Apple Passbook, the app allowed for easier integration of retailer gift cards. However, this feature has been somewhat phased out in recent updates. Apple’s official site no longer advertises the ability to store typical retailer gift cards directly in the Wallet app, although it does mention support for “coffee shop, drugstore, or retail rewards cards.”
For now, the primary card balance you can manage directly in Apple Wallet is Apple Cash. This feature allows you to store funds, send money to others via Messages, and make purchases wherever Apple Pay is accepted. So, while you may not be able to add every gift card directly to Apple Wallet, there are alternative routes to digital convenience.
Which Loyalty Programs Does Apple Wallet Support?
Apple Wallet offers compatibility with a variety of loyalty programs from popular brands. To explore the full range, you can visit Apple’s curated collection of Apps for Wallet on the App Store. This collection is updated regularly as new partners are added, so it’s worth checking back for the latest additions. From Ulta to Starbucks, you can add these loyalty programs by downloading the respective apps and tapping the “Add to Apple Wallet” badge.
Adding Vendor-Supported Gift Cards to Apple Wallet
If you’ve got gift cards from vendors like Starbucks, Walgreens, or Ulta, you’re in a good spot. These vendors and others directly support the integration of their gift cards into Apple Wallet. Here’s how you can add these cards to your digital wallet:
- Locate the Gift Card: First, find the email or physical card where the gift card information is provided.
- Download Vendor’s App: If the vendor has an app, download it from the App Store and sign in or create an account.
- Find the Option: Look for an “Add to Apple Wallet” badge or similar option within the app or email.
- Tap to Add: Simply tap this option, and the gift card will be added to your Apple Wallet.
- Verify: Open your Apple Wallet to ensure the card has been added successfully.
Most of these vendor-supported gift cards come with a specific “Add to Apple Wallet” option, either in the vendor’s own app or within the email where the gift card is delivered. This makes the process incredibly straightforward, allowing you to keep all your gift cards in one convenient location.
Adding Gift Cards from Vendors That Don’t Directly Support Apple Wallet
So, what if your favorite store hasn’t jumped on the Apple Wallet bandwagon yet? Don’t worry; there are workarounds that let you add almost any gift card to your Apple Wallet. Here’s how:
Workarounds for Unsupported Vendors
- Third-Party Apps: Apps like Stocard or Gyft allow you to create a digital version of your physical gift card. Simply scan the barcode or enter the card details manually.
- Add to Apple Wallet: Once the card is in the third-party app, look for an “Add to Apple Wallet” option. Tap it, and voila, your card is now in Apple Wallet.
- Manual Entry: Some apps allow you to manually enter card details if the card doesn’t have a scannable barcode. This is a bit more tedious but gets the job done.
While it’s not as seamless as vendor-supported options, using third-party apps provides a viable alternative. These apps create a digital version of your gift card that can be added to Apple Wallet, ensuring you can go fully digital even when the vendor hasn’t made it easy.
Adding Credit Card-Type Gift Cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc.)
If you’ve received a gift card that functions like a credit card—think Visa or Mastercard gift cards—you’re in a particularly advantageous position. These cards can be added to Apple Wallet just like any regular credit or debit card, allowing you to use them wherever Apple Pay is accepted. Here’s how to go about it:
- Open Apple Wallet: Navigate to the Apple Wallet app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Plus Icon: You’ll see a “+” sign usually located at the top right corner. Tap it to add a new card.
- Scan or Enter Details: Use your iPhone’s camera to scan the card’s details or enter them manually.
- Verification: You may be prompted to verify the card through a text message, email, or other method depending on the issuer.
- Finalize Setup: Once verified, follow any additional prompts to complete the setup.
- Check Apple Pay: Open Apple Wallet again to ensure the card is there and set it as a default payment method if you wish.
Adding a credit card-type gift card to Apple Wallet essentially turns it into a more versatile spending tool. You’re not limited to a specific store, and you can use it just like you would any other card in Apple Pay. It’s a straightforward process that opens up new avenues for using gift cards.
Adding Apple Store Gift Cards to Apple Wallet
Let’s clear up a common misconception: Apple Store gift cards and iTunes gift cards are not the same thing. While iTunes gift cards are for digital purchases like apps and music, Apple Store gift cards are for buying physical goods and services from Apple’s retail or online store. The good news is, you can add Apple Store gift cards to your Apple Wallet. Here’s how:
- Locate the Gift Card: Find the email or physical card where your Apple Store gift card details are provided.
- Open Apple Wallet: Navigate to the Apple Wallet app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Plus Icon: Look for the “+” sign, usually at the top right corner, and tap it.
- Select Type: Choose the option for adding a gift card.
- Scan or Enter Details: Use your iPhone’s camera to scan the card’s barcode or enter the details manually.
- Verify: You may be prompted to sign in to your Apple ID to complete the process.
- Check Wallet: Open Apple Wallet again to ensure the Apple Store gift card has been successfully added.
Apple Store gift cards offer a lot of flexibility, and adding them to your Apple Wallet makes them even more convenient to use. Whether you’re shopping in-store or online, having the gift card in your Apple Wallet streamlines the payment process, making it a breeze to redeem your card.
You’re now equipped with all the information you need to make the most of Apple Wallet’s gift card capabilities. Gone are the days of cluttering your pockets or purse with various plastic cards. With Apple Wallet, you can have all your gift cards, loyalty programs, and even credit card-type gift cards right at your fingertips—whether you’re using an iPhone or an Apple Watch. It’s all about making your life simpler and your transactions smoother. Happy shopping!