Compressing a large PDF file is one of the best ways to save your iPhone or iPad’s storage. Fortunately, Apple is making the process of reducing your PDF files straightforward on iPhone or iPad using its built-in tools. This eliminates the need for a third-party app to be installed on your device, which may cause some unexpected errors.
In this step-by-step guide, we will show you how to compress PDF files on your iPhone and iPad without compromising quality. Before we begin, ensure that you have a newer firmware update installed on your devices.
How to Reduce PDF file size on iPhone or iPad
There are two main methods that you can use to compress a PDF file on your iPhone or iPad. They are as follows:
Method 1: Using the Files app
The Files app is a great way for iPhone or iPad owners to compress their PDF files without sacrificing their file quality. Here are the steps:
- Launch the Files app on your iPhone or iPad
- Locate the PDF file you want to reduce the file size for.
- Tap and hold that PDF file until you see the pop-up menu.
- Select Quick Actions and hit Optimize File Size.
If you want to compress multiple PDF files at the same time, here are the steps:
- Hit the three dots button at the top right corner of the screen
- Select > Choose the PDF(s)
- Hit the three dots at the bottom right corner > Optimize File Size.
Method 2: Using a Third-Party App
While the Files app should come in handy for those who are looking for a quick and easy method to reduce a PDF file on iPhone or iPad, there’s not much you can do beyond that.
In reality, there are a lot of apps on the App Store that allow you to compress a PDF file on an iPhone or iPad. Some popular apps for compressing PDF files on iPhone or iPad include:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF
- iLovePDF- PDF Editor & Reader
- Foxit Mobile PDF
- PDF Reader- Document Expert
- PDF Compressor
The process of compressing a PDF file can differ depending on the app you choose. Generally, you will need to browse the file, select it, and upload it to your compressor app.
Method 3: Using the iOS Shortcuts app
You can use the free Optimize PDF File Size shortcut to reduce the PDF file size on iPhone and iPad. Here are the steps:
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone
- Tap Optimize PDF File Size
- Select the PDF file you wish to reduce the file size for. You can select multiple files at the same time
- Now, choose Open > Open to confirm.
Method 4: Using an online PDF compressor
Another way to compress a PDF file on iPhone and iPad is to use an online PDF service. The best part about this method is that it’s very easy to use and super convenient. Most online PDF compressors out there can reduce your PDF file size in seconds without compromising its quality.
That’s how to compress a PDF file on iPhone and iPad. PDF compression is now much easier on Apple devices with the above methods. Hopefully, you have enjoyed our post on how to compress a PDF file on your iPhone and iPad.