iOS 14 brings in many features users are excited about such as new camera features, App library, and various ways for widget customization. However, there are also new bugs and glitches that come with this new update. One of the most common issues that users are facing with iOS 14 is slow, lagging keyboard.
Specifically, when you tap on the input field, you may notice that the keyboard either lags or freezes. It is an annoying issue and it’s the last thing you want to meet when updating to iOS 14. This problem can occur within various apps, but it’s commonly seen in the iMessages app.
In this article, we will provide you some reliable fixes to deal with the slow, lagging keyboard on iOS 14. Let’s check them out
Restart Your iPhone
Like dealing with any other software problems, you should try restarting your device at first. It fixes several problems on devices like laptops, tablets, and of course the iPhone. Different iPhone models will have different ways to restart. Here is how:
- For iPhone X, iPhone 11, and iPhone 12
- Press and hold one of the Volume buttons and the Side button for a few seconds.
- The “Slide to power off” bar will appear. Drag the slider and wait for 30 seconds for your iPhone to turn off.
- Press and hold the Side button ( until you see the Apple logo) to turn the device back on.
- For Older iPhone Models (Please note that iOS 14 only supports iPhone 6s or Later):
- Press and hold the Side button.
- The Power off slider will appear. Drag the slider, then wait for your device to turn off.
- Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo to turn the phone back on.
If resetting your phone does not work for you, you can try the hard resetting method instead. Check out this guide to know how to do it.
Reinstalling Problematic Apps
There is a chance that something goes wrong with your apps and leads to the lagging, slow keyboard problem on iOS 14. In this case, try un-installing the apps the keyboard fails work with and then re-install them.
Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
Keyboard Dictionary is a popular feature that allows users to save their own words in the dictionary for instant use in the future. It is very convenient, but the data can be overload sometimes and cause a laggy experience. In this case, you can reset your Keyboard Dictionary to see if it works. Do note that this will erase all the saved words. Here is what you need to do:
- Go to Settings and navigate to General.
- Scroll down and go to Reset.
- Select Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
- You may be asked to enter your passcode. Enter it and tap Reset.
Enable Reduce Motion.
Animations like apps transition or keyboard popping are visually appealing. However, there is a chance that this neat feature is the root of a drop in performance on your phone, thereby causing a laggy keyboard. So, you can try enabling the Reduce Motion feature.
Enabling Reduce Motion will decrease animations around your iPhone and boost its performance in some cases. Here is how to do it:
- Go to Settings > Accessibility.
- Select Motion on the list.
- Tap the slider to enable Reduce Motion.
Delete iCloud TextInput Data.
Like any other program, your keyboard’s data also has its own caches files. They are located in the TextInput section in your iCloud folder. When these files take too much storage, they can cause freezes and buggy experience.
Therefore, cleaning the iCloud TextInput data will be a good way to troubleshoot your laggy keyboard. What you need to do is:
- Open Settings.
- Go to Apple ID Profile.
- Go to iCloud>Manage Storage.
- You will see a list of documents and data here.
- Navigate to TextInput and select Delete Data.
Reset the iMessenges app
As mentioned, the laggy keyboard issue is often seen on the iMessage app. You can try resetting this app in order to see if the problem is dealt with.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and select Messages.
- Turn off iMessage.
- Switch the service back ON by tapping the toggle again.
Try A Third-Party Keyboard
There may be an actual bug or glitch on iOS 14 that directly affects the keyboard performance. In this case, you can try installing a third-party keyboard application. You can find hundreds of these apps from the AppStore with different unique features. Notably the Google Gboard, Swype, SwiftKey, and more.
Keep Your Software Updated
As iOS 14 is still in its early stages, it is not a surprise that the operating system will still have bugs and glitches. However, Apple usually releases patches that address software issues. Therefore, keeping your phone’s software up to date will eventually fix multiple bugs and glitches, including the keyboard problems. If you don’t like to use a third-party app, you should wait for an update from Apple.
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- If an update is pending, you will see it here.
- Select the update and tap on Install Now.
- Enter your Passcode/PIN if asked to update your iOS.
Before updating your phone, it is recommended that you connect it to a stable Wi-Fi and your phone is now at more than 40% battery charged.
There you go! Now you have our guide on how to fix the slow and lagging keyboard problems on iOS 14. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments!