µTorrent is a popular Torrent client which is very handy for downloading large files to your Mac. It’s a free piece of software available for your Mac so it can be worth having. If you want to uninstall µTorrent from your Mac then follow the steps below in this article.
Why you might want to uninstall µTorrent
Historically, µTorrent has always had a very clean user interface but that changed recently. The latest version of µTorrent is cluttered with ads and can also quietly install Bitcoin mining software on your Mac which is obviously not ideal if you have no reason for this kind of software. Before you update to the latest version with the unwanted software, you might want to uninstall it completely and try a different software for downloading files.
There are several ways you can uninstall µTorrent and we will go over them here.
Force quit µTorrent before you uninstall it
Before you try and uninstall µTorrent you’re going to want to force quit its processes. This is because it’s probably running in the background. To do this, simply Cmd +Opt + Esc, select uTorrent in the pop-up windows and click Force Quit to quit this program (this shortcut for force quit works for the application that appears but not for its hidden processes).
Now you can safely go about uninstalling µTorrent.
1. Manually uninstall µTorrent
The first way of uninstalling µTorrent is to do it manually. This way you can be sure that all files are removed from your system, however, it’s worth taking your time so you don’t delete anything that you might need accidentally.
- Switch to Finder and go to the Applications folder.
- Drag and drop the µTorrent application to Trash.
- Go to ~/Library folder, use CMD+Shift+G shortcut.
- Enter the ~/Library path and click Go.
- Navigate and remove µTorrent support and temporary files, so remove files and folders:
/Library/Application Support/uTorrent Web
Finally, empty your recycle bin and restart your Mac. All the µTorrent should now be removed from your Mac
2. Use the App Cleaner
Another way, and the easiest way, is to use your Mac’s App Cleaner and Uninstaller.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the µTorrent app and tick the checkbox.
- Click the Remove button and then empty your recycle bin
- Restart your Mac
All the µTorrent files should now be removed from your system.
3. Remove the app from your home screen
If you still have the app on your screen for whatever reason, follow the steps below to remove it.
- Access to Launchpad from the Dock, through Spotlight or by gesture.
- Locate the target app in Launchpad, or type its name in the search bar on the top.
- Click and hold the app icon until it starts to jiggle and shows a X in the upper left.
- Click the X icon and then click Delete in the pop-up confirmation dialog.
The Bottom Line
Uninstalling µTorrent is very easy to do. Make sure you bookmark this page so you can come back to it if you need to at a later date.