If you are looking for a way to put the new iPhone 12 in DFU or Recovery mode, you are in the right place. Read on to know how to enter recovery or DFU Mode on iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
The Difference Between Recovery mode and DFU mode
Putting your iPhone in recovery mode requires the iBoot process (the bootloader in iOS devices). This ensures that users are actually trying to install a suitable firmware version. When your iPhone is in Recovery Mode, the iPhone screen will show you that the device is connected to iTunes.
Unlike in the Recovery Mode, your iPhone display will be totally black in the DFU mode. And, this is the only way to distinguish between these modes.
DFU mode or Device Firmware Update is a special mode that allows your iPhone to interact with iTunes on a PC without activating the iBoot process. Therefore, this mode can be used in many different situations including upgrading any iOS or even rebooting your jailbroken device.
How to Enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro Max
First, make sure you’ve updated to the latest iTunes on your computer. However, if you are running macOS Catalina or Big Sur, don’t bother with iTunes since it’s no longer part of the OS.
Follow these steps to put your iPhone 12 in recovery mode:
- Connect your iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro to a Mac or PC via a Lighting to USB cable.
- Press the Volume Up button and release.
- Next, press the Volume Down button and release.
- Press and hold the Side button until the iPhone reboots and you see the connect to iTunes screen on your iPhone. Do not let go of the side button when you see only the Apple logo.
Note: If your iPhone is connected to a new computer, remember to tap the Trust button. Then, you’ll have to enter the passcode on your iPhone to confirm the pairing.
How to Enter DFU Mode on iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro
DFU mode is the deepest type of restore that you can do with an iPhone. And, it’s sort of an endgame here. So, if you think there’s a hardware-related issues or simply want to downgrade your iPhone 12, it’s a good idea to perform a DFU restore.
In case the Recovery Mode doesn’t work, put your iPhone 12 on DFU mode by following these steps:
- Connect your iPhone to a PC and open iTunes on it.
- Tap Volume Up and Volume Down button.
- Next, press and hold the Side button until your iPhone display turns black.
- Then, press and hold the Volume Down button while still pressing the Side button for 5 seconds.
- Now, let go of the Side button while keep holding the Volume Down.
- Within a few seconds, your PC will recognize your iPhone 12 is in DFU mode.
If you do everything right, you will see a message prompting you to update your iPhone before it can be used.
To exit DFU mode manually, here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Volume Up and Volume Down button and release it.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on your iPhone’s screen.
- Now, your phone is out of the DFU recovery mode.
Recovery and DFU modes are very handy when it comes to repairing iPhones. However, in any case, we recommend backing up your phone before following the above steps. Also, let us know if you have any questions in the comments below!