WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app out there that allows you to send and receive messages. It’s available for both Android and iPhone. You can also download WhatsApp’s desktop app to use it on Mac or PC. As a Mac user, you could only send messages through WhatsApp via the desktop app you also cannot make audio or video calls in WhatsApp on your mac machine. Thankfully, WhatsApp recently launched a new update that added the ability to make calls on the Mac app. However, the process might be unknown to many Mac owners. No worries, here’s how to make WhatsApp audio and video calls on a Mac.
Before We Start
Before anything else, you need to make sure that:
- You have the most recent WhatsApp app version on your Mac
- Your Mac is running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or newer
- You’ll need to have an audio output device, microphone, and camera connected to your Mac for calls. Video calling isn’t supported on devices without a camera. WhatsApp suggests a headset for the best audio quality.
Set Up Your WhatsApp (Optional)
In case you don’t know how to set up the WhatsApp desktop app on your Mac, here’s how:
- Go to WhatsApp’s download page then download and install the app
- Open WhatsApp on your Mac. You will see a QR code displayed here
- Open WhatsApp on your phone
- You can either tick or untick the box next to “Keep me signed in” to stay logged in later
- Click Settings in the bottom-right corner of your phone screen if you’re using an iPhone, or click the three dots in the top-right corner if you’re on Android.
- Tap WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Web/Desktop on your phone.
- Click Scan QR Code and scan the code in the desktop app using your phone to connect the two apps
Making a Video or Audio Call With on Your Mac WhatsApp
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the conversation window with the contact you’d like to call
- Click the voice call icon or the video call icon at the top right corner.
- A WhatsApp call will be placed directly from the desktop
- During a call, you can mute or unmute your microphone by clicking the microphone icon. The same goes with the camera icon to turn on/off your camera.
- To end a call, click End call.
Switching Between Voice and Video Calls
While on a voice call with a contact, you can request to switch to a video call.
- Hover over the Camera icon during the call
- Click the Camera icon
- Now the app will send a request notification to the person you are calling.
- Your contact may select OK or Switch to switch the call or “Cancel” to decline.
Remember that all calls and messages sent on WhatsApp have end-to-end encryption, so your data will be protected. For now, you can only make calls with a single contact. WhatsApp is still working to release an updated version with the ability to make group calls.
That’s how to make WhatsApp audio and video calls on Mac. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments!