Apple iPhone sometimes fails to work as you expect. It can be annoying when your iPhone display suddenly shows the recovery mode with a long error message: support.apple.com/iPhone/restore. There is nothing you can do, and your iPhone turns into a useless brick.
Fortunately, there are several workarounds you can use to fix the issue without damaging your precious data. We will show you how in the steps below.
First, Why Does My iPhone Show the Error Screen?
The support.apple.com/iPhone/restore error message pops up for several reasons. The most common one is that your iPhone is having a software issue. According to reports, the issue emerges when performing a software update or restoring your device from a recent backup. Also, the message pops up when connecting your iPhone to an external device such as Mac or PC.
The issue can be dealt with without paying an Apple Repair Store visit. However, if it’s a hardware-related issue, do not crack open your device and alter its internal components. You may lose your warranty.
How to Fix
You can try several fixes to get your iPhone back to work. One of which requires you to install a third-party app. Here are our possible solutions.
Method 1: Restart Your iPhone
One of the easiest ways to fix a software-related issue is by performing a restart. Doing so should fix the issue and remove the error screen. The steps to restart an iPhone depend on the iPhone model you now use.
For iPhone X or later:
- Press and hold either of the Volume button and Side button simultaneously until you see the power-off slider.
- Drag the slider and wait for your device to turn off. Wait for 30 seconds and turn it back on.
For iPhone SE (2nd or 3rd gen), 8, 7, or 6
- Press and hold the Side button until you see the power-off slider
- Drag the slider and wait for your device to turn off.
- Wait for 30 seconds and turn it back on.
Method 2: A Third-Party App
If the above solution does not help, the next solution is to use a third-party app. In the section below, we will use UltFone iOS System Repair, a cool software that repairs your iPhone stuck on the Apple logo and becomes unresponsive. Here is how to use it.
- Download and install UltFone iOS System Repair on a Windows PC or a Mac.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and open the software.
- Choose Exit Recovery Mode from the main menu and disconnect your iPhone from the computer.
- Now, restart your iPhone to see if the problem is fixed.
Method 3: Force Restart Your iPhone
If you don’t want to install a third-party app on your device, try force restarting your device. Force restarting an iPhone is as easy as powering the device off and turning it back on without damaging your data. However, the steps to force restart an iPhone vary depending on your current model. Here are the steps.
For iPhone 8 or later
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Keep the Side button pressed until you see the Apple logo.
For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
- Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at once.
- Release the buttons when you see the Apple logo.
For iPhone 6s or earlier
- Press and hold the Side button and Home button.
- Release all the buttons when the Apple logo shows up.
Method 4: Re-install iOS
Another solution is to reinstall your iPhone iOS. Following this method, your data remain intact, but you need to re-install the operating system. Here are the steps.
- Connect your iPhone to a Mac via a USB cable.
- When your Mac detects the iPhone, you should see a message saying, “There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored“.
- Click Update to install iOS. This should fix the issue.