If you’re considering buying a Mac/MacBook, especially if you are on a budget, choosing a refurbished device isn’t a bad idea. But, how to find a trusted place to get one now? No worries, here is our guide to help you find where to buy a refurbished MacBook or Mac.
Should You Buy a Refurbished Mac?
By purchasing a refurbished product, you can save up to a couple of hundred dollars and get the same benefits you get with a brand new Apple product. This also includes things like a guaranteed inspection process and a 1-year warranty. And, you don’t have to worry about the device’s condition and quality.
In fact, Apple states that every Apple Certified Refurbished product completes a rigorous refurbishment process that includes full testing that meets the same functional standards as new Apple products. Here are some benefits of choosing a refurbished Mac:
- Thoroughly cleaned and tested
- Includes Apple’s standard one-year warranty
- Up to 90 days of technical support
- Comes with all accessories, cables, and operating systems
- Dispatched with free shipping and returns
- Can be purchased via financing options
Note: All Macs bought from the Apple Refurbished Store are cleaned, checked, tested, and visually indistinguishable from brand-new models.
How Much Cheaper are Refurbished Macs and MacBooks Compared to New Macs?
Buying refurbished devices is the way to go if you want to save money on buying a Mac. But, how much money can you actually save here?
Typically, you can expect savings between 10 and 30 percent, depending on the age of the device and its condition. In some cases, the savings could be as much as 50 percent. However, in that case, the device is quite old and probably not worth purchasing if you plan to use it in the long run.
Here are some decent refurbished Mac deals for 2021:
- 13-inch 2.4GHz quad-core (2019) MacBook Pro: This model can be found on the Apple UK Refurbished Store for £1,359. That’s a £240 saving on the original price.
- 13-inch 1.1Ghz dual-core (2019) MacBook Air: Pick up a refurbished MacBook Air with Retina and True Tone for just £809 (£140 off the original price).
- 3.6Ghz quad-core Mac mini: A refurbished Mac Mini with a £120 discount, is only at £679 now.
- 27in 3.2Ghz 8-core iMac Pro: If you really want to take advantage of these discounts, then aim high to get an amazing £680 off with this iMac.
Note: Keep in mind that stock is limited on refurbished models from Apple, and you’re unlikely to find every style of Mac at all times.
Best Places to Buy a Refurbished MacBook or Mac
As the creator and manufacturer, Apple is best-suited to refurbish any Mac. The company recognized this and started its own Certified Refurbished online store. Every year, many of the devices were returned through the company’s physical and online retail outlets. This could be a part of a trade-in program, after they were designated as faulty, or simply returned after purchase.
As a result, there are a variety of refurbished devices available. Regardless of the reason, the company still inspects each product and tests them before putting them back on sale. Then, Apple replaces any necessary components with genuine parts.
All of that makes purchasing from Apple’s Certified Refurbished store the best option if you want a refurbished device. Plus, these refurbished devices also come with Apple’s standard one-year warranty and 90 days of technical support. Furthermore, you will also have the option to protect your purchase with AppleCare+.
Even though there are many benefits to purchasing through Apple’s Certified Refurbished store, you probably won’t find significant savings there. So, a reliable and refurbished alternative like Mac of All Trades is here to give you the best republished Mac deals!
If you are shopping refurbished, low price is a priority. In Mac of all trades, you should expect an average savings of 10-15% off, even for the latest models.
Based on its recent positive reviews from ResellerRatings and Google, you can trust Mac of All Trades to offer a good selling experience with responsive support. In fact, the company operates a four-part refurbishment process. Here is how it works:
- Visual inspection
- Two-stage cleaning process
- Hardware testing
- Device repair
After repackaging, each refurbished Mac is given a quality rating (from Excellent, Very Good, Good, to Fair).
Amazon is one of the world’s largest retailers. So, it is not a surprise that it offers tons of refurbished items on the Amazon Renewed storefront. However, the majority of the items for sale here are tested and refurbished by third parties.
But, Amazon still implements its standards on each refurbished product. So, it’s safe to say that any refurbished item here will be in good condition. And, most products in Amazon Renewed are rebuilt or previously owned items that have been refurbished to work and look just like new.
Here are some key points you should know before purchasing in Amazon Renewed:
- Amazon Renewed products are not inspected and tested by Amazon.
- The refurbishment process involves a full diagnostic test, replacement, and a thorough cleaning process.
- Amazon promises that its products have no visible cosmetic imperfections when held 12-inches away.
- The company also allows you to replace or refund within one year with its warranty.
- All refurbished devices on Amazon Renewed must have at least 80% capacity of batteries at the time of sale.
With the Amazon Renewed store, you get access to a wide range of refurbished MacBooks and Mac. Not only does this make it a convenient place to shop, but you will also get the benefits of Amazon’s customer service. For instance, Amazon Renewed Guarantee gives you 90 days to return the product if you aren’t happy with it. In case you have any technical problems, simply contact Amazon for help troubleshooting the issue with ease.
The Bottom Line
Overall, the Apple Certified Refurbished store is our first choice when it comes to purchasing refurbished Apple devices here. But still, other sites all offer a unique take on the second-hand device that may better suit your needs. Plus, the prices on those sites are a bit more reasonable than Apple Certified Refurbished stores.
That said, we still suggest you do your research carefully before buying a refurbished MacBook or Mac. Despite many upsides, there are potential pitfalls you need to keep an eye on.
Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below!