What is Symdaemon Mac OS X?
Symdaemon is a background process which is part of the Symantec™ Antivirus software for Mac, and also the Symantec™ Endpoint Protection software. Scroll down to find out how to remove it.
It is often the culprit of high CPU usage or high memory usage, and as such should be removed if it is causing ongoing performance problems on your Mac. Many users have reported problems with it on Symantec’s own forums.
Removing the Symdaemon Mac OS X process is highly recommended as it is known for causing issues on the Mac.
Why is Symdaemon Using Mac OS X CPU?
Symdaemon most likely uses a lot of CPU time because it is always running in the background. There may also be bugs with the software that causes this problem.
Symantec’s products are well known for causing problems like this, especially on the Mac. Removing it will free up your CPU and reduce the amount of pressure on the CPU, making your Mac run better.
How to Remove Symdaemon from Mac OS X
By removing Symantec™ Norton Antivirus from your Mac, you will also remove the Symdaemon process.
Because so many people want to remove Symantec’s software from their Mac, they provided an official Uninstaller to help us do this. Symantec’s officla uninstaller for Mac is called RemoveSymantecMacFiles.
To download and run RemoveSymantecMacFiles:
- Download RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip from the following address:ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip
- Symantec updates this tool regularly to accommodate changes introduced in newer releases of Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh, so if you have not downloaded it recently, we recommend you do so now.
- On the target Mac, and double-click the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip file that you downloaded so that the file unarchives.
NOTE: To use this tool, you must be logged in to the Macintosh with an Administrator account with a non-blank password.
- Open the RemoveSymantecMacFiles folder.
- Double-click RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command (if you do not display file extensions, it appears as RemoveSymantecMacFiles). This launches a Terminal window.
- Type your Mac OS X password, and then press return. When you type your password, no characters appear.
- To remove all Symantec files and folders, type 1, then press Enter.
- The utility will remove all files within Symantec-installed folders.
More Information about Symantec Symdaemon
- Remove Symantec software for Mac OS using RemoveSymantecMacFiles
- Stop and Start Symantec Endpoint Protection on OS X
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, PC Tools, Norton, and Veritas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Symantec, PC Tools, NetBackup, Norton, and Veritas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.