If you’re the owner of an Apple HomePod mini, you are likely already familiar with the various features that come with the device. From using Siri to streaming a range of radio stations and podcasts, the HomePod mini provides a great music-listening experience. However, if you’re an avid Spotify listener, you may be wondering if it is possible to use your HomePod mini with your Spotify library and account.
Can you play Spotify on HomePod mini?
While the HomePod mini is compatible with the likes of Apple Music, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, it is not fully integrated with another top-contending streaming service, Spotify. If you are an exclusive Spotify user and are determined to use our HomePod mini with your current account, you can do so with a quick and easy workaround.
Methods of playing Spotify on HomePod Mini
Streaming Spotify on HomePod mini is not possible with the current firmware and software included in the HomePod mini itself. There are, however, two alternative methods that can help you connect your Spotify library to your HomePod mini even without a firmware update or new release.
Stream Spotify Using AirPlay
Using an integrated option, such as AirPlay, is one of the quickest methods of streaming Spotify to your HomePod mini. It is important to note that this option is only available for those who are using an iOS device to stream music, as this method is incompatible with Android smartphone devices or tablets.
To stream Spotify to your HomePod Mini using your Apple/iOS device, complete the following steps:
- Verify that you have the Spotify application installed and updated on the Apple/iOS device you are using to stream your Spotify music.
- Select the song from the Spotify library in your account that you would like to stream.
- Select the ‘Devices Available’ option, which should appear below the song you have selected with the Spotify app open.
- Choose ‘More Devices’ to open a new screen where additional devices and streaming solutions will appear.
- Select the ‘HomePod’ application icon, which should be automatically detected if your home’s wireless internet and Bluetooth connections are in working order. Once you select the HomePod application icon, your Spotify music should begin streaming immediately.
If this method is giving you difficulties, there is also an alternative way to stream Spotify music with the use of AirPlay using the following steps:
- Launch the Spotify application from your iOS device.
- Access the settings/control center of your iOS smartphone or device and select ‘3D Touch’ to generate the AirPlay icon if it is not already visible.
- Locate and press the AirPlay icon, which should be visible on the top right-hand side of the screen. Once you select the AirPlay icon, select the ‘HomePod’ icon to begin streaming your connected Spotify account immediately with your HomePod mini.
Upload Music to Your iTunes Library
In some instances, your Spotify account may not connect properly or you may experience the following issues:
- Your account will not connect via AirPlay due to internet/Bluetooth issues.
- The music you attempt to stream appears to be playing, but you experience silence instead of streaming with volume.
- Your device is not recognized by AirPlay, making it difficult to connect to your Spotify account.
If you experience any of these problems, there is an alternative solution that involves converting your Spotify music library so it can be uploaded to your Apple iTunes account. To convert your Spotify music so that it can be uploaded to your iTunes account, complete the following steps:
- First, you will need to locate a third-party music converter designed for Spotify. One of the most well-known audio converters to convert Spotify music for iTunes libraries is AudFree Spotify Music Converter. Once you have downloaded and installed the music converter of your choice, launch the program to get started.
- Launch your music converter and search for the three dots icon. Select it and choose ‘Share’ followed by ‘Copy Spotify URL’. This will allow you to copy specific Spotify song URLs that you would like to download and convert.
- Open the settings window of your third-party music converter such as AudFree to view your ‘Preferences’. This will also provide a ‘Convert’ option, which you can use to define whether you would like to export your songs as MP3 or M4A formats.
- Browse through your Spotify music and select the ‘Download’ button to begin the conversion process. Once your Spotify library has been successfully converted, you can then import the files directly into your iTunes library to be played on your HomePod Mini without hassle.
How is streaming Spotify on HomePod Mini different from playing Apple Music on HomePods?
Once connected properly, there is little to no noticeable difference when it comes to streaming Spotify on HomePod mini compared to using Apple Music on your HomePod.
However, it is important to note that traditional Apple features that are built-in, such as Siri, will not be available with the use of Spotify and any Apple device or player. Apple iOS devices are created with streaming devices from Apple in mind, so working with a third-party application such as Spotify may require a bit of an adjustment period as you learn to navigate the HomePod mini with your Spotify library connected.
Playing Spotify on your HomePod mini does not have to lead to frustration or a headache once you are familiar with the AirPlay option and methods of converting your current library of songs. By familiarizing yourself with Apple’s HomePod mini compatibility, stream your Spotify library from just about anywhere as long as you have working wireless internet and Bluetooth connections.