Sophos Antivirus is a well respected and popular antivirus app for the Mac. It is available as both a free and paid-for app, and is generally accepted to be good at detecting viruses on your Mac.
However, not everyone has a need for such an application, and Mac OS X is still far less likely to be infected or compromised by a virus than Windows.
You may want to uninstall Sophos from your Mac to free up some memory and reduce your CPU usage. You’ll generally find that having less background apps such as Sophos will improve the performance of your Mac.
Uninstall Sophos Mac Guide 2015
Follow the steps and guides below to free your Mac from Sophos:
How to Uninstall Sophos Mac (Free Version)
Follow these steps to Uninstall Sophos Mac Free Version. Removing Sophos by dragging the App does not remove it completely, so you must follow these steps to correctly Uninstall Sophos Mac:
- Run the Sophos Antivirus Removal app. This is located in the Applications folder. To find it, use Spotlight – press CMD (⌘) + Spacebar on your keyboard to open Spotlight, then type ‘Remove Sophos’ and press Enter.
- Follow the steps in the Removal app to complete the Uninstall process.
- If Spotlight doesn’t find the Removal app, look for it manually. In the Finder, open the Applications folder and look for “Remove Sophos Anti-Virus”. If it’s not there, it’s likely that it’s already been removed, or perhaps someone renamed it.
How to Uninstall Sophos Mac (Paid Business Version)
If you have the paid-for business version of Sophos AntiVirus (SAV), then follow these steps to Uninstall Sophos Mac for Business:
The removal app for Business/paid-for versions of SAV is located in this folder:
Watch this animation to find the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus app for Business/paid versions:
Uninstall Sophos Antivirus Using the Terminal on Mac OS X
These instructions are for versions 9.2 and later and should only be used by a Superuser/Administrator. Please note that incorrect use of the Terminal may cause damage to important files.
1. Open Terminal and run the following command:
cd /Library/Application\ Support/Sophos/opm-sa/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS
2. Run the following command:
sudo ./InstallationDeployer --remove
Note: You will be prompted for a password. This should be the password of the account used to log on to the Mac if your user account is an Administrator. The password will not appear on screen when you type it – press enter when you have finished entering it.
Reasons to Remove Sophos Antivirus from Your Mac
- You may decide that you have little need for an Antivirus on a Mac because of how unlikely it is to infect a Mac with a virus.
- Sophos Antivirus may be using a lot of memory and CPU, in which case removing it will improve the performance and overall speed of your Mac.
- You may have found another piece of software to do the job, in which case Sophos should definitely be removed because running two antivirus background apps at the same time will drastically decrease the performance of your Mac.
Find out more about Uninstall Sophos Mac
Sophos themselves have several articles which may help you:
- How to Remove Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac
- How to Check which version of Sophos Anti Virus for Mac you are running
- Using the Terminal to Remove Sophos Anti Virus on Mac OS X