If you’ve spent over $100 on your AirPods, you’re not going to be too happy if they break. Even if they don’t break, you may experience a loss of volume. This is a very common issue with AirPods and there can be a number of reasons why your AirPods might suddenly sound too quiet. In this guide, we’ll go over why your AirPods might be quieter than they used to be and how you can fix them.
You need to clean them
It may sound obvious but you should be cleaning your AirPods regularly. Your AirPods can gather a fine layer of grease that you may not be able to see with the naked eye. This grease can get inside of your AirPods and block them, making them sound a lot quieter than they should be.
Don’t get your AirPods wet, all you need to do is use a microfibre cloth and wipe them gently.
You can also take a cotton bud and gently clean the earphone mesh, making sure not to push too hard. Once you’re happy that there’s no physical dirt blocking your AirPods, you can move on to our second fix.
This next fix might seem a little gross but it’s super effective if your AirPods sound too quiet. Sometimes it’s impossible to clean the dirt and grime out of your AirPods by using a cotton bud or cloth alone and so the next best thing is to suck on your AirPod. This will help to dislodge any stubborn ear wax or dirt from inside the metal mesh.
You’ll need to put a microfibre cloth over the mesh of your AirPods and then suck through it, making sure to give your AirPods a wipe as you go.
Another thing to look at is whether you have enough battery life left in your AirPods. If you’re low on juice, your AirPods may become quieter. Luckily, AirPods allow users up to 24 hours of listening time but you should make sure that you charge your AirPods fully instead of charging them partly every now and again.
There’s no evidence that this can damage the battery and most devices need to be fully charged to work properly, otherwise, you end up charging them frequently and allow their battery to run out which isn’t recommended.
You should also be cleaning the case of your AirPods regularly too so you can be sure that no dirt is interrupting the charging process.
Turn off Low Power Mode
Most Apple devices come fitted with a Low Power Mode option which can be turned on or off manually. This is to preserve battery life but it comes at the expense of performance like screen brightness and volume. If your AirPods sound quiet, make sure you check if Low Power Mode is on because this will affect how loud you can listen to music.
Here’s how to do it;
- Go into the Settings app and then tap on the Battery option.
- From there, toggle the Low Power Mode button to disable the feature.
If your iPhone or iPad is low on battery, your AirPods will likely be more quiet than usual. Make sure you charge your device as soon as you can.
One of the settings you need to check is the Volume Limit. If this feature is set to minimal or low, your audio is adjusted automatically to that volume. To change it, go to your device’s Settings, then tap on the Music option and then make sure that your Volume Limit is set to maximum.
You can also check the Sound Check settings to see if it is active. The Sound Check setting will level your music files. If a song you downloaded was recorded at a low bitrate, Sound Check will level all of your music to the same level. Luckily, you can disable this feature.
- Go to Settings, tapping on the Music option.
- Toggle off the switch next to Sound Check option.
Check Stereo Balance
Another setting you need to have a look at is the Stereo Balance settings on your device. If you find that one of your AirPods sounds quieter than the other, you can normally fix this by checking this setting.
- First, open the Settings on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Then, tap on the General option, and then Accessibility option.
- Now, tap on the Mono Audio option to disable it. If it is greyed out, then it is already disabled.
When you’re done, take a look at the Hearing section to make sure that the toggle is in the center of the line between L and R. If the toggle is all the way up on one side, you’ll AirPods output will be unbalanced.
Sometimes your connection and device volume will change over time due to updates and apps refreshing. If this happens, you’ll need to recalibrate your volume and Bluetooth connection between your device and your AirPods.
Here’s how to do it;
- The volume of your device all the way down to zero while playing music and your AirPods is still connected via Bluetooth.
- Next, Disconnect (Note: do not tap on the Forget This Device) the AirPods by going to the Settings, then Bluetooth and clicking on the ( i ) icon beside the AirPod name.
- Go back to Bluetooth and toggle the button to disable it.
- After that, your Apple device will be playing the music using its own speakers.
- Now, turn the volume of your speaker all the way down to zero.
- Then, turn back on your Bluetooth on your Apple device and reconnect the AirPods.
- Finally, adjust the audio volume according to your needs.
Once you have adjusted your settings on your Apple device, you’ll need to restart it to make sure all of your new settings are applied correctly.
Something else you need to be aware of is the firmware of the device your AirPods are connected to. Make sure you’re in line with the latest iOS updates by going into your settings. If you do see that there is an update available, make sure you restart your device after it is complete. Forget Device and Pair again.
Sometimes your Bluetooth connection can become corrupted. In these cases, you’ll need to remove the connection between your AirPods and your Apple device and start again.
Here’s how to do it;
- First, open the Settings app of your Apple device, then tap on Bluetooth.
- Then, tap the ( i ) icon next to your AirPods name, tap Forget This Device and then Confirm.
- Next, place your AirPods into its charging case and then close the lid. Wait for around 30 seconds before opening the lid of the charging case.
- Now press and hold the Setup button on the back of the case until the LED light inside the case flashes amber and then white repeatedly.
- After that, close the lid of the Airpods charging case to finish the reset process.
- Give it a few seconds then open the lid of the case fo AirPods again to begin the pairing process.
- Now on your iPhone, iPad or Mac, bring your AirPods case (with AirPods in) near it until the setup popup appears on the screen. If you are having trouble, know more about what to do.
- Finally, tap the Connect option on your Apple device and follow the instructions until you finish the setup process.
If you’re still finding that your AirPods are quieter than usual, you may need to contact Apple Support.