If you’re looking for a way to run Windows on Mac, then Boot Camp is probably the best option right now. Whether it’s for gaming or you simply want to try out Windows 10 on Apple’s hardware, here is how to activate Windows 10 in Boot Camp for Mac.
What you Need Before Installing Windows 10 on Mac
Note that Boot Camp requires an Intel processor to run probably. So, here is the list of the supported Macs:
- 2012 or later MacBook Air & MacBook Pro
- Mac mini 2012 or later versions
- 2012 or later iMac
- 2013 or later Mac Pro
- All models of iMac Pro
On top of that, you will also need at least 64GB or more free storage space on your Mac startup disk. However, we suggest having around 128GB of free storage space for the best experience here.
How to Active Windows 10 in Boot Camp for Mac
Follow the below steps to activate Windows 10 in Boot Camp on your Mac:
- First, you need to download Windows 10 ISO in Microsoft’s Download Windows 10. Here, select Windows 10 and the desired language.
2. Next, click Confirm. Choose 64-bit Download and Save to start downloading.
3. Once it’s finished, you can launch Boot Camp Assistant by going to Applications > Utilities.
4. Next, click Continue. Boot Camp will automatically locate the ISO file for you.
5. Drag the slider in the partition section (this will be set to 48GB by default). But, you can choose higher storage options here.
6. Click Install to download Windows support software.
7. Type your password and click OK.
8. After that, your Mac will restart automatically. Then, you will see the Windows 10 setup screen appear.
9. Choose your language and click Install Now.
10. Enter your product key or click I don’t have a key after the installation.
11. Choose either Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Pro based on your preference.
12. Click Next > Custom: Install Windows Only > Drive 0 Partition X: BOOTCAMP.
13. Click Next and wait for Windows 10 to be installed. Note that your Mac will restart several times during this process.
14. Choose between “Use Express Settings” or “Customize Your Installation” when you see the Windows 10 setup screen appear. We recommend choosing the express settings, as all can be changed after the installation.
15. Type a username and click Next.
16. Finally, choose to use or not to use Cortana. Now, your Mac is ready to run Windows 10!
How to Transfer Your Existing Product Key in Boot Camp partition
- On your old computer, open an elevated command prompt.
- Copy and paste “slmgr /upk” command into the elevated command prompt.
- Next, press Enter to uninstall the product key.
- Click OK when the product key has successfully been uninstalled.
- Now, the product key is ready to be activated on your Mac.
This will clear the previously installed product key from the registry. So, it can no longer be viewed by product key finder programs like ShowKeyPlus.
How to Return to macOS from Windows 10
The best part of Boot Camp is that it allows you to switch back and forth between the two operating systems easily. Here is how to go back to macOS from Windows 10:
- Click the Show hidden icons button in the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Click the Boot Camp button.
- Choose Restart in OS X. Now, your Mac will now restart and go back to run macOS.
Note: Another way to switch from Windows 10 to macOS is to restart your Mac while holding the Option key until a boot menu appears. From here, you can choose which operating system to start with.
Have you successfully active Windows 10 in Boot Camp on your Mac? Let us know if you have any questions in the comments!
Read more: Play Cyberpunk 2077 on Mac with Boot Camp